Content management system (CMS) is a software application that can be used to manage the creation and modification of a digital content. CMSes are typically used for enterprise content management (ECM) and web content management (WCM).
Examples of popular Content Management Systems
There are two categories of CMSs
- Self-hosted like WordPress.org, OpenCart
- Hosted like Shopify, Squarespace
What are the well-known content management systems for e-commerce, and what is the best CM platform for creating an online store?
- Magento – open source with self-hosting
- Woocommerce plugin for WordPress.org – open source with self-hosting
- PrestaShop – open source with self-hosting
- Shopify – hosted
- EKM – hosted
- OpenCart – open source with self-hosting
- FreeWebStore – hosted
- VirtueMart – an e-commerce extension for the Mambo or Joomla! – open source with self-hosting
- Drupal Commerce – an e-commerce extension for Drupal – open source with self-hosting
- BigCommerce – hosted
- 3D Cart – hosted
- Zen Cart – open source with self-hosting
- Spree Commerce – open source with self-hosting
After browsing the Web and doing a thorough comparison, following are some CMSs that we recommend for e-commerce.
- WordPress.org with Woocommerce and finding a good hosting company ( i.e FastComet). This free, open source platform began as a blogging platform and has evolved into a full-blown CMS. It is extremely modular and search-engine friendly, and it allows for multiple users for various levels of permissions. The difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com is that WordPress.com is a self-hosted platform, whereas WordPress.com is hosted on WordPress’ servers. As s business owner, you want to use the self-hosted WordPress.org CMS so that you have complete ownership of your website. If you are looking for a low budget, flexible CMS, WordPress.org is a great choice.
- Shopify and UK based EKM. Whether you are selling physical products completely online or you are a brick-and -mortar retailer looking to sell your wares online, these are worth your consideration. Shopify and EKM handle the design and layout of your store, but it also manages payments, shipping, inventory, and much more. It comes with hosting, but you need to pay monthly fee for using these ready made platforms.
Which one should You choose ? Now, it depends how much time and money have you got and how many new skills are you ready to learn. All these platforms have their plusses and minuses, pros and cons. Test them, and then you know which ones are more suitable for your needs.